Monday, February 7, 2011

Are there any decent flight schools in New York

Are there any decent flight schools in New York?
I am not sure if I am going to be accepted to the aviation program at Farmingdale's College Flight School. I have been searching for other schools at airports that do not offer a degree for so long, but they all look the same to me. I live on Long Island and will travel either to MacArthur Airport or Republic airport in Farmingdale for training. If anyone can help me out or find me a school that fits, that would be great. I am looking for a school that has PPL-CPL-ME-Instrument, all that.. Thank you.
Aircraft - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Check these out http://www.justflightschools.com/New_York/
2 :
Look for good flight instruction--not flight academies.
3 :
If you have the cash to go all the way through to the Commercial-MEL rating, think about buying your own plane, hiring an independent instructor and building the hours you'll need to get the ratings PLUS the hours you'll need to get hired because few companies will hire you with the bare minimums. When it comes time to do the MEL training, then go to a flight school for that. If you have a friend or two that want to be pilots too, go in on a partnership. You probably won't save a huge amount of money over renting planes at a flight school, but it is enough to make it worthwhile (the money you save can go toward more flying time) and you'll have more freedom of when and where you can fly after you get your Private. You'll also learn a lot just through owning an airplane (maintenance, insurance, etc) which will serve you very well further down the road (or runway, as it were) in your aviation career. This is what I did and it worked out well for me. My first plane was a 1958 Cessna 172 which was (and still is) fairly inexpensive to buy, operate, maintain and insure (since I'm 6'2 a Cessna 150 wan't comfortable though it was cheaper). My second plane was a 1970 Piper Cherokee 140 with full IFR instrumentation to get my Instrument and CFII ratings in, and it too was reasonably affordable. To get the high-performance sign-off and take my commercial checkride I rented a Piper Arrow for 10 hours , and then I did a regular multi-engine course in a Piper Seminole at a well-known flight school that specializes in multi-engine training. Since I did my homework and got lots of advice, I bought both planes at a good price, flew a lot of hours in a short time, and resold them at a small profit just by cleaning, polishing, and touching them up, so in effect I got my ratings and built 700 hours (enough to get a real job) in two years for less than the cost of going all the way through a traditional flight school from student pilot to CPL-MEL. At the same time I got an inexpensive Associates Degree in Aviation Management from a local community college while working a part-time job as a "ramp rat" at a local airport. That's my 2 cents worth. It's not an option available to everybody, but I'd recomend it if you can do it.

Search News